Township of St. Vincent
St. Vincent Township is located on the southern shore of Georgian Bay and surrounds the Town of Meaford. It is located mid-way between the city of Owen Sound and the town of Collingwood and Highway 26 passes through the township. The township land covers approximately 66,000 acres of which 17,000 acres in the north part of the township has been occupied by the Department of National Defence as a training area since 1942.
A population of 1900 enjoy farming and living in some of the many scenic residential areas of the township and commuting to employment in nearby towns. Various types of farming are evident including beef, dairy, pork, sheep, buffalo and mink. Because of the township's location close to water it is specifically adaptable for apple growing and there are many excellent orchards located in the township with storage buildings and fresh produce markets.
Being part of a four season area, sports enthusiasts can enjoy trout fishing in the Bighead River and it's tributaries, or cross country skiing, snowmobiling etc.
Along the boundaries of St. Vincent Township, close to Meaford, are several businesses including implement, car and bicycle dealerships, furniture showroom, trucking business, garden centre, animal clinic and a shopping plaza.
The first settlers came to St. Vincent Township in the early 1820's and the northerly part of the township was surveyed in 1833. St. Vincent Township was first called "Zero" as it was the most northerly and consequently thought to be the coldest. The name was changed to St. Vincent in honour of Sir John Jervis, Earl of St. Vincent.
In 1851, St. Vincent Township elected it's first full council. The present council consists of a reeve, deputy reeve and three councillors. Six reeves of St. Vincent Township have served as Warden of the County of Grey: C.R. Sing in 1882; Nicolas Read in 1887; Robert White in 1931; Clarence Ormsby in 1966; Maurice Brown in 1981 and Gerald Shortt in 1990.
St. Vincent Township welcomes you to Grey County and invites you to visit with our friendly residents and enjoy some of the many scenic drives through the countryside.