|Big Sisters of North Grey-Bruce & Owen Sound|
Each of us was touched by someone, other than our parents, who introduced us to new worlds and brought a little magic into our lives. By becoming a Big Sister or volunteering to get involved with the organization, volunteers can do the same for a child, and both will be changed forever by the experience.
Mission Statement: To provide the opportunity for personal development of young girls through friendship with a responsible adult female volunteer.
Services: Big Sisters provides a one woman/one girl friendship to girls in need of emotional support and guidance during their formative years.
Clients: Young girls 5-16 years old who, for a variety of reasons, will benefit from the one to one friendship of an adult female.
Programs: Big Sisters provides professional Caseworker support to the Big Sisters, Little Sisters and families throughout the matching process. Monthly group activities are offered for the unmatched little sisters while they wait to be matched. Monthly support and/or training meetings for Big Sisters.
Activities: · Board Members-attend monthly board meetings (approximately 2-3 hours) and attend 2-3 community events per year.
· Committee members-attend monthly meetings (approximately 2-3 hours) and attend any community events directly related to committee involvement.
· Activity volunteers-attend 1-2 program activities per month (approximately 3-4 hours) may be asked to transport Little Sisters.
· Big Sisters-spend 3-4 hours per week developing a special friendship with a young girl.
· Special event volunteers -willing to commit to the success of an individual fundraising event ie. Tour of Homes, Monthly Draw, Regal sales, Bulb sales etc.
· Friends of Big Sisters-volunteers are needed in each community (Markdale/Flesherton, Meaford, Owen Sound/Chatsworth, Wiarton/Lions Head, Port Elgin/Southampton). Friends of Big Sisters attend 6-8 meetings per year in their home community. The Friends of Big Sisters promotes the Big Sisters program in each community and support the fundraising efforts of the organization.
For more information please contact:
Big Sisters of North Grey-Bruce & Owen Sound
P.O. Box 483 261 8th Street East
Owen Sound, Ontario N4K 5P7
Phone: 371-9944 Fax: 371-5906